|Home||Home > History > Places|
Description of Sanderstead in 1907
From Where to Live Round London (2nd edn. 1907) [S70 ROW]
A small and delightfully pretty village situated on the side of the Surrey hills about three miles from Croydon... The district retains all the advantages of a really rural parish, while it has the benefit of the excellent market and educational facilities afforded by the proximity of the town. In a high but sheltered position on a chalk soil, it is growing rapidly, especially between the village and the railway station, where property of a good class and at moderate rental is being erected.
The old village - where, in the eighteenth century, resided Mrs. Elizabeth Montagu, the learned lady or `blue stocking' - with the parish church, is more than a mile from the station. The church, with its tall roof and low shingled spire, is principally Perpendicular in style, is very picturesquely situated, and the churchyard contains some fine old yew trees.
The surrounding country is very beautiful. The walks, drives and cycle rides are almost unending in variety; while to the golfer the links immediately at his door will offer an unfailing attraction. The course, which has recently been re-planned is of 18 holes and offers opportunity for some of the best sporting golf in the London district.
The station, served by the London, Brighton, and South Coast and South Eastern and Chatham Railway Companies, is on the Oxted line, and a good service of trains is available, while the main line trains from East Croydon are within reach by making use of the excellent tram service of the Croydon Corporation, running along the Brighton Road at a short distance from the station.
Friday, 13 December, 2013