|Home||Home > History > Places > Parks and Open Spaces|
Located in Shirley, bordered by Shirley Church Road and the Shrublands Estate
Spring Park Wood used to be a huge area of woodland to the east of Bridle Way, but housing was developed in the area in the early 20th century and a considerable part of the woodland became a golf course in 1922. The Course was amongst the trees from Links View Road to Shirley Church Road, and included Kennel Wood to the west of Bridle Way.
Within the woods, at the junction of what today is Bridle Road and Broom Road, was a gamekeeper's house and pens, a public house is now on the same site. The golf course was purchased by the Council in 1934 and war-time 'pre-fabs' were soon built on the northern part of the course. When the 'pre-fabs' were removed the estate known as Shrublands took their place during 1961-3.
The area to the east of Bridle Way and south of Shrublands was called "The Heath" in the 14th century and then Jacksons Common. The area to the west was known as Kennel Wood, this was because John Maberley of Shirley Park kept and trained the Old Surrey Foxhounds in the wood.
The southern part of the golf course the Council kept as public open space and now some of the open areas among the trees are used for sports pitches rather than golf fairways.
Back to Parks and Open Spaces
Saturday, 25 May, 2013