|Home||Home > History > Places > Parks and Open Spaces|
Located in Addiscombe, at the junction of Lower Addiscombe Road and Spring Lane.
The park is on the site of the Woodside Convent , however all that remains today is the chapel which along with several other buildings now house Ashburton Library. The original mansion was built in 1788 and underwent several name changes, the estate was known as Byculla Park from 1855 after a suburb of Bombay, and from 1869 to 1878 the mansion was called Stroud Green House after Stroud Green Common a 12 acre stretch of land on the other side of Lower Addiscombe Road. The estate changed hands often and at one time was owned by the horse racing celebrity Henry Dorling, whose Correct Card all race goers used.
In 1878 the Estate became the property of Reverend Father Tooth, the founder of the Community of the Paraclete. He erected the chapel buildings and maintained an orphanage for the sons of gentlemen, under the care of six sisters of his Community subject to his rules, and later he had a home for inebriates.
The Corporation purchased the site in 1924 and the mansion was demolished soon after the site was developed as a putting green, which after a decline in use was dismantled.
The Park was the venue for Croydon Summer Show which was held annually over two days and was open till midnight with illuminations and a ten piece dance band.
Back to Parks and Open Spaces
Monday, 20 May, 2013