|Home||Home > History > Places > Parks and Open Spaces|
Addiscombe Recreation Ground
Located in Addiscombe with entrances from Northampton Road, Fryston Avenue and Bingham Road.
This small recreation ground is completely surrounded by houses and can only be reached on foot. It was acquired under the 1875 Public Health Act in 1905 and was laid out by 1911 when it was shown on the Ordnance Survey Plan for the first time.
The area was previously farm land and on Thomas Bainbridges map of Croydon the area is shown as two fields belonging to A. Adair Esq. Rapid urban development at the beginning of the 20th century, in Croydon and Addiscombe soon covered the farmland with residential houses.
Addiscombe Recreation Ground was once part of the Ashburton Estate, the estate house stood at the corner of Addiscombe and Northampton Roads. It was the country home of the Barings, the heirs of the Barony of Ashburton. The old Farm House also stood on Addiscombe Road with a track called Love Lane running beside it.
Back to Parks and Open Spaces
Sunday, 19 May, 2013