|Home||Home > History > People > Archbishops|
Archbishops of Canterbury
The Archbishops of Canterbury were lords of the manor of Croydon from Saxon times until the nineteenth century. They had a manor house in Croydon, which by the sixteenth century was known as Croydon Palace, and became their principal summer residence until it was sold in 1780 and Addington Palace was bought in its place. Many of the buildings of Croydon Palace survive, and are in use today as Old Palace School. They were major landowners, and played an important role in the development of the town, and in the life of the local community.
Their coats of arms (especially The Arms of Archbishop Whitgift) have significantly influenced the civic heraldry of Croydon.
Sunday, 26 May, 2013