|Home||Home > History > Buildings|
Places of InterestDespite its reputation as a business and retail centre Croydon has retained some traditional character with 4 scheduled ancient monuments, 6 Grade I listed buildings, 10 designated conservation areas and over 150 buildings listed as having special architectural or historic interest. A number of the buildings are open to the public.
Former summer home to Archbishops of Canterbury
Addington Palace is a Grade II Georgian mansion.
For more information please call: 020 8662 5053 or visit the website www.addington-palace.co.uk
Croydon Airport Visitor Centre takes a nostalgic look at the world's first purpose-built international airport during its heyday in the 1920s and 30s. Three galleries London's International Airport, Gateway to the World, and the restored radio room recapture the excitement and atmosphere of its halycon days.
The Visitor Centre is open on the first Sunday of every month from 11am to 4 pm.
Visit the website: www.friendsofoldpalace.org
Croydon Palace is the 1000 year old former residence of the Archbishops of Canterbury. Guided tour includes the 15th Century Great Hall, Tudor Long Gallery, Chapel, Norman Undercroft and the bedroom used by Queen Elizabeth 1st.
Tour Dates - 2012
For information on times and admission prices please visit the website
Sadly, Old Palace is not suitable for wheelchairs.
Each tour last 2 hours and includes a stop for tea and cake (included in admission charge).
Booking is not necessary unless you are planning to come as a group of 10 or more (upper limit 20) - in which case please phone us on 01883 742969 or email us email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Please note that groups, over ten in number, will be asked for a £2 per head, non-returnable deposit.
Dating from the 15th century the Croydon Parish Church was nearly destroyed by fire in 1867. It was rebuilt by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1867. It is the burial place of six Archbishops of Canterbury with monuments to Archbishops Sheldon and John Whitgift.
Visit the website: www.croydon-parish-church.org.uk
Dating from about 1080 St Mary's is the burial place of five Archbishops and boasts some unusual memorials.
Visit the website: www.addington.org.uk
Built in 1871 the church is one of J L Pearson's finest. It is a grade 1 listed building.
Open: Daily 9.30am - 4.30pm.
Visit the website: www.croydonstmichael.org.uk
The present windmill was built in the mid 1850s to replace a post mill destroyed by fire. Abandoned in 1892 it was bought by Croydon Council in the early 1950s and is the only surviving windmill in Croydon. It was first opened to the public in 1995 with free tours provided by The Friends of Shirley Windmill.
Use this link for more information on the history of Shirley Windmill
Shirley Windmill is open for guided tours - first Sunday of each month June to October 1pm - 5pm with the last tour starting at 4pm.
Visit the website: www.shirleywindmill.org.uk
Tuesday, 28 July, 2015